United Kingdom will change after the 31st Jan 2020 Image

United Kingdom will change after the 31st Jan 2020

The United Kingdom regains Supremacy 31st Jan 2020

Have you been concerned about what changes Brits will face, after Brexit? Here are the top 14 Changes that will affect your travel to other European Countries from the 23 Jan 2020. 

  1. The British Passport changes to Blue, will the Burgundy one become invalid?

    In 1988, the UK Government changed the colour of the passport from dark blue to burgundy red, in line with most EU passports, after some 30 years of using the Eunited front British Passport. In 2017 the Government announced with delight the return of the British Royal Blue passport. The words “European Union” have already stopped appearing on new UK passports. British travellers will still be able to use EU lanes at ports and airports during the 11-month transition period from January 31st. The much-loved blue cover with gold lettering is a return to the original appearance of the British passport with the colour first used in 1921. It remained the colour of choice until the UK joined the EU, and the burgundy standard format colour was agreed and adopted in 1988. Yes, the Burgundy British Passports ones will still be valid and gradually be phased out, with the new blues ones to be issued by mid-summer next year. We can process your new Blue British Passports for a fixed fee of £250.00 apply now! This is a limited offer for six months only.

  2. How will Brexit affect your travel?

    As a British nation, there will be a transitional period, when all the EU rules and regulations will still apply in the UK. The transition period will start on the 31st of January until the end of 2020. The deal allows for an extension by 1 or 2 years; however, the UK Government has ruled it out.

  3. British national right to travel into European Countries and transit?

    It’s no surprise that British nationals remain concerned as to whether or not European Countries will turn them away on travel or transit? The European Travel Information and Authorization System (ETIAS) was proposed by the European Commission in April 2016 and approved in November 2016, responsible for country visa waiver conditions. The ETIAS will make the decision as to whether Britons would have to pay to enter EU Countries, will depend upon the visa system the UK negotiates with the EU once it leaves the EU Union. If, as expected, UK citizens are granted a visa waiver, Britain could fall under the ETIAS Europe form and would have to apply for an ETIAS in order to visit any of the 26 Schengen member countries where it will be required.“ETIAS will work for all current and future visa-free third countries. It does not single out any country or region…” said Dimitris Avramopoulos, Home Affairs Commissioner. Flights, boats and trains will operate as usual. When it comes to passport control, during the transition period, UK nationals will still be allowed to queue in the areas reserved for EU arrivals only.

  4. Will British nationals require a visa AFTER the transition period?

    Yes. British national will be required to apply for a visa waiver. ETIAS has confirmed a visa fee charge of £6.50, valid for three years, to come into force in 2021. Irish Nationals (Republic of Ireland) face no change to their travel into Europe; there has also been an acceptance that British and Irish citizens will continue to enjoy free movement within the common travel area – UK, Ireland, the Isle of Man, Guernsey and Jersey.

  5. Will there be other changes to current EU Freedom of movement?

    No. Not during the transition period, this means there ought not to be any additional border checks, so the airport queue should not be affected or long. As a British national, if you are concerned about which border Checking queue to join, the Foreign Commonwealth Office (FCO) has announced that you are still permitted to join the “EU/EEA” passport gates, until December 2020. British passports will still be valid until they expire (additionally you have the choice to apply for the Royal Blue passport).

  6. Will British National be allowed to travel on rail and Eurostar?

    Yes. The Department of Transport for the UK has confirmed that British nationals on flight or rail travelling from the UK will have the same passenger rights today, during transit and after the transition period. This has further been confirmed by the British Government that “British Nationals rights as a rail passenger, using either domestic or cross-border services such as the Eurostar will not be affected”.

  7. As a British National, will your passenger rights be restricted on Ferries, Coaches and European Buses?

    No. The Department of Transport for the UK has confirmed that British nationals on flight or rail travelling from the UK will have the same passenger rights today, during transit and after the transition period.

  8. Can Britain still use the European Health Insurance Cards (EHIC)?

    Britain’s use these cards to obtain with state-provided medical treatment in case of illness or accident in Europe. They can be used in any EU country (as well as Switzerland, Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein) and will continue to be valid during the transition period.

  9. Will the EHIC card be valid for Britain’s after Brexit?

    If you go on holiday in 2020, you will still be able to use your EHIC. What happens in 2021 and beyond will be decided in negotiations that will soon start. The EHIC currently entitles you to state-provided medical treatment if you fall ill or have an accident in any EU country, or in Switzerland, Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein, where the scheme also applies. The UK has issued 27 million EHIC cards. They cover pre-existing medical conditions and routine maternity care as well as emergency care. Individuals with chronic illnesses, for example, those who require daily dialysis, can travel knowing they will receive treatment on the same terms as the citizens of the country they are visiting. There will be a transition period after the UK formally leaves the EU, which will last until 31 December 2020. During the transition, your EHIC will remain valid.

  10. Britain’s driving in Europe: what you need to know?

    UK licences will still be valid for visiting EEA countries during transition ending 2021. What happens next will depend on negotiations on the future relationship between the UK and the EU. There will be different arrangements in place for each country-specific advice for each country is available from the government. Some countries will require Britain drivers to have an International Driving Permit (IDP), especially for longer visits, which may be bought at Post Offices for £5.50, ( this is already available). You may also need to carry your UK driving licence – some countries have stricter rules if you only have a paper licence.DVLA says more than three million people in Britain only have a paper licence, not a photocard; you ought to ensure that you have the correct paperwork for insurance purposes. There are two different types of IDP you might need in Europe, known as the 1949 and 1968 IDPs – the numbers refer to the dates of the conventions on road traffic that established them.

    1. The 1949 permit covers any visits to Cyprus and Andorra and longer trips to Ireland, Spain, Iceland, and Malta.
    2. The 1968 permit covers driving in all other EU countries that require IDPs, plus Norway and Switzerland. Only France, Italy and Cyprus require drivers to have an IDP for a short visit.
    3. The majority of countries, such as Germany and Spain, only need you to have an IDP once you have been driving in the country for a set period – three, six or 12 months.
    4. And a few countries such as the Netherlands and Switzerland will not require an IDP at all.

    It’s also possible that the type of IDP you need to drive in countries outside Europe will change once the UK is no longer a member of the EU.

  11. Will British national need to pass an EU Driving Test?

    The government has issued specific advice for each country. In some countries, if you wait until after the end of the transition period 2021, you may need to take another driving test.EU and EEA licenses will continue to be accepted in the UK for visitors and residents. Your UK Car Insurance will continue to be valid for visiting the EEA during the transition period of 2021. After the transition period, Britain’s intending to drive in a European Country may be legally required to get a Green Card from your Car Insurer to prove your car is covered if you are driving in Europe. This will depend on what is agreed in negotiations between the UK and the EU on the future relationship. The Green Card will only act as a minimum level of third-party cover – it will not necessarily match the level of cover that you pay for in the UK. Britain Drivers intending to drive in European Countries will be required to check with your Car Insurer to find out what level of cover you would get.

  12. Can Britain’s still drive Owned or Hired Car in Europe?

    The government recommends that you have a GB sticker on your car, even if you also have a GB symbol on your number plate when travelling to any European destination. Britain’s must carry your V5Clogbook with them if you own the car. Britain’s travelling with a hired, leased car must have a VE103 form to show you have permission to take it out of the UK to any European Country.

  13. Can a British Driver be sued for a motor accident in Europe?

    British nationals involved in a road traffic accident in an EEA country after the end of the transition period may need to make a claim against the responsible driver or their insurer in the European Country where the accident happened. And that could involve bringing the claim in the local language. Again, this will depend on the outcome of negotiations on the UK’ future relationship with the EU.

  14. Brexit 50p coin why?

    The Brexit 50p coin is a commemorative 50p coin that was struck to mark the planned exit of the United Kingdom from the European Union (“Brexit”) on 31 October 2019. However, as the date to leave the European Union changed, this special coin, will not be in distribution until 31st January 2020. About three million commemorative 50p Brexit coins bearing the date “31 January” will enter circulation on the 31st Jan 2020. They will also have the inscription: “Peace, prosperity and friendship with all nations”. “Peace, prosperity and friendship with all nations” is a quotation from former US President Thomas Jefferson. He was a Founding Father who served as the third president of the United States from 1801 to 1809. He previously served as the second vice president of the United States from 1797 to 1801. The principal author of the Declaration of Independence, no quote could better fit the United Kingdom as it regains its “independence and sovereignty.”

By Shabana Shahab

Please click here for more information about our Immigration Consultant Shabana Shahab.

error: Content is protected !!
Scroll to Top